In this class we will thoroughly review the entire ELA NY State exam by using a former test. The students will take a practice test so they can practice the full experience before the exam.
Review the 12 reading strategies:
- Finding main idea
- Recalling facts & details
- Understanding sequence
- Recognizing cause & effect
- Comparing & contrasting
- Making predictions
- Finding word meaning in context
- Drawing conclusion & making inferences
- Distinguishing between fact & opinion
- Identifying Author’s purpose
- Interpreting figurative language
- Distinguishing between real & make believe
Students will also review:
- Tips on preparing for tests, time management & following directions.
- Testing directions as well as, testing conduct per the Board of Ed guidelines.
- CARS TESTING (Comprehensive Assessment of Reading Strategies)
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Not only is Kerry Scrivanich a certified NYC gifted and talented teacher but she also graded for the Board of Education the 3, 4, and 6th grade State exams for 4 years. (Teachers are tested before grading and if they pass they can then mark other school districts tests for the Board of Ed.) She was trained on how the break down of grading goods and learned the strict rules to getting the full points on the exam.
Ms. Scrivanich’s passion lies in working with gifted children. In addition to her work at the NYC public school, she also teaches an archeology elective class and a ballet class for the talented. This dedicated gifted and talented teacher displays a clear understanding of a gifted child’s imagination. She recognizes the different levels of gifted students, the differences in creative learning styles, the different modes of expression, and the variety of student interests. Scrivanich received her BA in Anthropology and Archeology and her MA in Education. She also completed the Gifted Education graduate program in New York. Scrivanich recently completed her children’s picture book, titled My Gifted and Talented Adventure! The book is now in publication.